The Vine Approach-Stage Three: Negotiators
- The Toddler Twos program is all about socialization and negotiation. At this stage of development, children are mostly expressing themselves nonverbally.
- By age two, toddlers are very passionate about what they want, and can become easily frustrated.
- Our caregivers understand this and make a concerted effort to encourage turn-taking and facilitate playing together.
- Between learning how to express themselves verbally and learning the concept of sharing, two-year olds will develop and increase their social-emotional skills.
2 – 3 Year Olds Daily Schedule
6:30 – 7:30 Arrive in Classrooms / Centers / Free Play
7:30 – 8:00 Diaper Changes / Potty Time / Wash Hands
8:00 – 8:40 Breakfast
8:40 – 9:00 Circle Time / Story / Songs
9:00 – 10:00 Small Group Activity, Free Play-all centers open
10:00 – 10:45 Outdoor Play/Music and Movement
10:45 – 11:00 Individual Quiet Time / Story Time / Clean up
11:00 – 11:45 Lunch
11:45 – 12:00 Storytime / Pottytime
12:00 – 2:30 Nap
2:30 – 3:00 Potty / Diaper Changes
3:00 – 4:00 Snack / Outdoor Play
4:00 – 5:00 Free Play-All Centers Open / Large Motor Activity
5:00 – 6:00 Table Top Toys / Manipulatives / Puzzles
Please keep in mind that there WILL be disagreements between children and there will be times when children test limits with adults. We frequently use the term “use your listening ears” and children have responded well to that approach.
We will also try to help children read and understand the facial cues of others when they are verbally or physically aggressive towards one another. We believe that when we help children take the time to look at a friend whose feeling they’ve hurt, we are increasing their social emotional skills in the area of social relations.
It takes time for children to learn how to respond sympathetically to peers in need and express empathy for others. This is a developing skill and our staff will always help children develop this skill in the area of social relations.
Parents of toddlers receive My Daily Report that outlines how their child’s day went. When children are signed in each day, this is the time to write down any information you want their teachers to know (difficulty sleeping, etc.).
The S-squared philosophy is our belief that every child needs seed deposits of security, stability and stimulation in order to grow cognitively, emotionally and physically. This cultivation begins in our Seedling Infant Program and continues throughout our Toddler and Preschool programs.
In the same way that we experience the world through our five senses, the S² philosophy encompasses five sensory experiences for two-year olds:
1. emotional stimulation – supporting two-year olds’ desire for independence, and helping your toddler manage their anger frustration
2. environmental stimulation – providing play areas that encourage block building, pretend play and small motor skills like puzzles and painting
3. language stimulation – giving toddlers the words to use when they are frustrated; reading books and talking about stories; talking about their own experiences at school and at home because at this stage, two-year olds take pride in what’s going on in their world.
4. Physical stimulation – indoor music and movement and outdoor play
5. neurological stimulation – combining these experiences to increase the brain’s ability to make connections between the navigating stage, exploring stage and the negotiating stage of development
- Caterpillars Infant Program (Birth-1 yr old)
- Toddler Bumblebees (1-2 yrs old)
- Preschool (3-5 yrs old)
Feel free to schedule an appointment to see our Toddler Twos Program in action.