The Vine Approach-Stage Two: EXPLORERS
Ages 1 – 2
- After infants have navigated their environment, they become curious about the environment around them and begin to explore
- Each baby develops at his or her own pace, crawling or walking when they are ready to do so
- Staff creates an environment that is inviting and supports curiosity and exploration
- One-year olds are learning to share the same space with others while also learning the concept of sharing and turn-taking
- Some activities include large knob puzzles, toys with sound effects and objects to fill and dump
- An environment that encourages crawling, climbing, standing, and walking
1 – 2 Year Olds Daily Schedule
Diapers will be changed every two hours or as needed.
6:30 – 8:00 Sippy Cups / Diaper Checks / Changes/Block Play
8:00 – 8:30 Breakfast
8:30 – 9:30 Morning Activity / Craft/Story, Circle Time / Music and Songs
9:30 – 10:45 Indoor / Outdoor Play / Large Motor Activities
10:45 – 11:00 Hand Washing and Story time
11:00 – 11:30 Lunch
11:30 – 11:45 Diaper Checks / Changes
11:45 – 2:30 Nap / Quiet time
2:40 – 3:00 Diaper Changes / Hand Washing
3:00 – 3:30 Snack
3:30 – 5:00 Afternoon Activity / Floortime – Indoor / Outdoor Walks & Play
5:00 – 6:00 Diaper Checks / Changes / Music, Small Motor Toys
Toddler Day Care Alexandria VA
During this stage, our staff also makes safety a top priority as toddlers begin to crawl, pull up, stand, and walk. Our staff is vigilant and physically present while toddlers explore. Young toddlers also have a hard time expressing their feelings. Sometimes they hit, throw toys, bite, kick and scream. We will try to prevent inappropriate behaviors and redirect when necessary.
Infants, toddlers, and preschoolers learn from teachers but much of what they learn is from each other. Therefore, the environment must be conducive to learning. The Vine Preschool environment provides materials, “toys” and activities that are developmentally appropriate and encourage the learning and exploring process.
The S-squared philosophy is our belief that every child needs seed deposits of security, stability and stimulation in order to grow cognitively, emotionally and physically. This cultivation begins in our Seedling Infant Program and continues throughout our Toddler and Preschool programs.
In the same way that we experience the world through our five senses, the S² philosophy encompasses five sensory experiences for toddlers in our Bumblebees classroom:
1. emotional stimulation – providing emotional support during times of happiness and excitement, as well as sadness and separation anxiety
2. environmental stimulation – providing opportunities that encourage socialization with others; not always having several of the same toys-learning the process of sharing and turn-taking
3. language stimulation – helping your toddler begin the expressive communication process; narrating for them as they try to communicate their wants and needs with their peers and staff
4. physical stimulation – introducing sensory experiences such as water play and finger painting; indoor and outdoor activities that encourage crawling, coasting, climbing and walking
5. neurological stimulation – combining these experiences to increase the brain’s ability to make more connections between the navigating stage and the exploring stage of development
- Caterpillars Infant Program (Birth-1 yr old)
- Toddler Twos Program (2 yrs old)
- Preschool (3-5 yrs old)
- Before and After School Care
Feel free to schedule an appointment to see our Toddler Bumblebees Program in action.